Friday, July 1, 2011

My First Day

There were just six people.  At the end of a long day of moving from one parish to another, I wanted to do the most important thing I do as a priest:  celebrate Mass.  It was that more special today since It was the Feast of the Sacred Heart.  
So a little after 7pm under a light rain, I walked over to the Church where the deacon was doing Benediction, and I asked the small group if they wanted to stay for Mass.  So six of them joined their new priest as I slowly and devoutly read the readings and shared the gift of eternal life.  And as I read the second reading, tears welled up in my eyes as I proclaimed these words that I've held close to my heart the last three years:  "In this is love: not that we have loved God, but that he loved us...(1 John 4:10)"  If we could only wrap our minds and hearts around the depths of his love!  This is what today's Feast of the Sacred Heart is all about: a God who loves us so much that he gave his only Son whose heart overflows with boundless love for us.  And today I felt that love as I was welcomed to my new parish.  This is where I will speak of this love.  This is where I will share this love.  May the Sacred Heart of Our Lord always guide us.  "Heart of Jesus, king and center of all hearts, have mercy on us." (Litany of the Sacred Heart of Jesus)