Thursday, November 28, 2013

100 Thanks (2013)

This is the 10th year that I do this.  As always, great fun.  Happy Thanksgiving.

1.     My family
2.     Genuine silence
3.     Pope Francis
4.     Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
5.     The much needed fruit of patience
6.     That “secret” place I go fishing with my father
7.     My mother's prayers
8.     Running out of the tunnel
9.     Saturday night chocolate chip cookies
10.  “The Joy of the Gospel”
11.  Crowded Masses
12.  Good Friday Processions
13.  Godsons who say yes to God
14.  Giving my godson his First Communion
15.  Saturday morning walks
16.  Phone calls that tell you that your parish's $3 million debt has been paid off
17.  Parish festivals
18.  Bumper cars
19.  Mondays at 6:30pm
20.  Latin Restaurant, aka “El Timbiríchi” or Sweetwater’s version of “Cheers”
21.  Dinner after the last Sunday Mass
22.  Game 6 and Jesus Shuttlesworth
23.  People who get it when I quote “The West Wing” (“Butterball has a hotline? God, I’m sorry, I love my country.”)
24.  People who get it when I quote “Seinfeld” (“The sea was angry that day my friends…”)
25.  “I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father, the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”
26.  “Take this, all of you, and eat of it.”
27.  “I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”
28.  “Be sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit” (I got to do that one this year!!)
29.  “By the power vested in me by the State of Florida…” (wait a second, I don’t say that.  The bride and groom say the vows. I only receive them, so…) “You have declared your consent before the Church…what God has joined let no man divide.”
30.  “Through this holy anointing…”
31.  “Father, I’m cancer free.”
32.  “Father, I need to go to confession.”
33.  Washing feet
34.  Celebrating the Easter Vigil
35.  Using Pope Francis’ daily homilies as the ultimate homily help
36.  10 minute homilies during daily Mass
37.  People who don’t care when I preach a 10 minute homily during a daily Mass
38.  Friends who build me chapels
39.  No leaks in the roof
40.  Plumbing that works
41.  The bills are all paid (you can tell by the last three that this list belongs to a pastor)
42.  Brother priests who cover for me during away games
43.  Prayers at midfield
44.  A winning locker room
45.  New Orleans with old students
46.  Touring St. Augustine with its bishop (how cool is that?)
47.  Rome and Italy pilgrimage next summer! (Who wants to go?)
48.  New York City
49.  New Yorkers or New Englanders who come home
50.  Silence and solitude on the beach
51.  The view of the Atlantic Ocean from my room during my vacation last summer
52.  The crash of the waves that I could hear from that room
53.  That redfish that keeps eluding me (I need the trifecta!)
54.  October dinners in Jupiter
55.  Visits to certain schools in Broward
56.  Teacher Happy Hours at Duffy’s (one glass of wine…that’s it)
57.  Troops that come home
58.  Phone calls from Fort Collins, Colorado
59.  Trips across the country to rendezvous with said residents of Fort Collins (St. Louis!)
60.  The Cathedral of St. Louis
61.  Students who call me “Father Mans(z)” (Not necessarily my favorite,  kudos to my first students for quoting Austin Powers and using “Fasha” or “Faj”)
62.  Former students who are now teachers
63.  Twitter shout outs
64.  Chumpes Chumpes Chumpes

65.  Wine Rooms!
66.  My yearly week “away” in KB
67.  My mothers on the Key
68.  "My boys" (who don't know how to end a group chat)
69.  "My girls" (are you still wearing your bracelets?)
70.  Bunk Beds for me and the “Bad Priest” (stop calling him that!)
71.  The iBreviary App
72.  Superhero movies (except Man of Steel which I'll pretend never happened)
73.  Seminarians becoming priests (superheroes in their own right)
74.  First Masses and First Blessings
75.  Wisdom of older priests
76.  Not sweating the small stuff (wisdom imparted from #75)
77.  My dedicated staff
78.  Festival volunteers (Total time worked by majority of volunteers: 35 hours over 4 days)
79.  Children Masses
80.  My triplets MTL (who always keep me so very grounded)
81.  My first nephew's mind
82.  My second nephew's delightfully wicked sense of humor
83.  My third nephew's ferocious appetite
84.  My sister's patience
85.  My brother in law's patience (yea, he needs it too)
86.  My brother's charm (he gets it from me)
87.  Friday Family Happy Hours (we've only had one all year!!)
88.  Goonies having babies (Finally! Girls!)
89.  The [blank] Family (Insert your family's name in the blank)
90.  Thanksgiving bags and turkey giveaways
91.  People who feed the hungry before and well after Thanksgiving
92.  Every parish that I have been blessed to serve
93.  Every family that considers me part of their own
94.  Finally witnessing the wedding of a former student (with more to come)
95.  Cool, not cold, weather
96.  Long days doing the Lord's work
97.  The Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist
98.  The power of the Rosary
99.  The unwavering faith of the people of God which only strengthens my own
100.                  Romans 8:39