Sunday, December 14, 2014

Rejoice Even When You Don't Feel Joy


"Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In all circumstances give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes 5:16

There are so many that find this time of year so very difficult because of loss, loneliness, illness that they can't muster up genuine joy as we rapidly approach Christmas. On this Sunday of joy, we are called to rejoice because our salvation is at hand.  Even through dark times, we are called to be joyful. We are called to find beauty amidst the darkness because we never know when Christ sends a neighbor to bring us his joy.

One of my seminary classmates used to say that you could find a homily anywhere, so here goes:  Yesterday I was sitting on the Dolphin's plane ready to take off and not in the best of moods when out of nowhere former Dolphin great Kim Bokamper handed me his phone.  Kim and I have a cordial relationship but nowhere near as close as I have with other coaches, staff and players so I was surprised at his insistence that I see a video on his phone.  I'm not going to explain the video because it is linked below and it speaks for itself about finding beauty in the most improbable of places and to cherish those moments of joy and those who hand them to you out of nowhere:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIoSga7tZPg



Jesus is indeed the joy of man’s desire.  Spread his joy as we approach Christmas.  Don’t let any darkness consume you.  Pray without ceasing, give thanks, and spread the joy of this homily and this video to others…