Saturday, February 25, 2012

Day 4 – You’re Not in Control! God is!


Here’s a hint if you ever find yourself working in a church office:  never joyfully say, “Boy, it’s quiet today.”  That’s like opening up a front door on the streets of Pamplona during the running of the bulls.  Something will happen to remind you that there is never an ordinary or “quiet” day when you are doing God’s work.  Well no sooner had I said this when a terrific wrench was thrown into great plans we had in store for our young people.  You can plan and try to control even the most miniscule of details, but God always has a plan that is greater than yours.  I spent most of my afternoon a little miffed that I had to fix a mess that was not of my doing.  When I finally calmed down and realized that I had to play the hand that I had been dealt, I clumsily uttered a phrase that almost immediately made it on to my Twitter feed: “When life throws you curveballs, make lemonade!”  Of course I meant “when life gives you lemons,” but the mixing of metaphors and my sudden and unexpected transformation into Yogi Berra led me to conclude that even when it comes to speech, God is in control.  I was trying to calm our pastoral staff when I said something that made absolutely no sense, but ended up being a funny and teachable moment.  Even when things are spiraling out of control around us, God’s got our back.  And from what seems hopeless, unforeseen blessings will appear.