Monday, March 18, 2013

Day 34: Psalm 23

Nothing brings us more comfort than reciting the 23rd Psalm.  Over the last three Sundays, most of us have been watching the very well done miniseries "The Bible" and I found it curious and bit uplifting that when they depicted the battle of David and Goliath, they had David reciting this psalm as he went off to confront the giant that he would eventually slay.  There are so many giants the Lord empowers us to slay if only we allow him to do mighty things through us.  When we are down, when we are going through a spiritual desert, or if we just want to be reminded of God's loving care for us, all we have to do is recite this psalm of great comfort:

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
In verdant pastures he gives me repose;
Beside restful waters he leads me;
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me in right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk in the dark valley
I fear no evil; for you are at my side
With your rod and your staff
that give me courage.
You spread the table before me
in the sight of my foes;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Only goodness and kindness follow me
all the days of my life;
And I shall dwell in the house of the LORD
for years to come.