Friday, March 20, 2015

Day 31: Hard to Say Sorry

It is sometimes difficult to find the right words to tell our God how sorry we are for our sins.  At times it feels that our words are insufficient, lacking authentic sorrow or perhaps not deep enough. Luckily we can turn to the Bible for help. Psalm 51 is prayed by priests and religious every Friday throughout the year. It is a great psalm to use as penance and it finds the right words in asking God for mercy. I invite you pray Psalm 51 slowly. What words or phrases moved you?  Is this something that can prepare you for confession?

 Have mercy on me, God, in your kindness. 
In your compassion blot out my offense.
O wash me more and more from my guilt 
and cleanse me from my sin.

My offenses truly I know them; 
my sin is always before me.
Against you, you alone, have I sinned; 
what is evil in your sight I have done.

That you may be justified when you give sentence 
and be without reproach when you judge.
O see, in guilt I was born, 
a sinner was I conceived.

Indeed you love truth in the heart; 
then in the secret of my heart teach me wisdom.
O purify me, then I shall be clean; 
O wash me, I shall be whiter than snow.

Make me hear rejoicing and gladness, 
that the bones you have crushed may revive.
From my sins turn away your face 
and blot out all my guilt.

A pure heart create for me, O God, 
put a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me away from your presence, 
nor deprive me of your holy spirit.

Give me again the joy of your help; 
with a spirit of fervor sustain me,
that I may teach transgressors your ways 
and sinners may return to you.

O rescue me, God, my helper, 
and my tongue shall ring out your goodness.
O Lord, open my lips 
and my mouth shall declare your praise.

For in sacrifice you take no delight, 
burnt offering from me you would refuse,
my sacrifice, a contrite spirit 
A humbled, contrite heart you will not spurn.

In your goodness, show favor to Zion: 
rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with lawful sacrifice, 
holocausts offered on your altar.