Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Day 1: Falling in Love with Christ

Behind the couch in my office, there is a picture of the face of Jesus that was given to me at my last parish.  It is a picture inspired by the book “Heaven is For Real.”  I have it behind my couch to remind me that every one who sits there that comes to me for guidance, counsel and absolution I have to treat and love like Jesus himself.  The other day as I sat in my office lost in thought, I stared at that picture.  There he was: the picture of a God who became man to save me. 

Lent affords us the time to get to know this Jesus and fall in love with him all over again.  We really do need this season of penance to realize that so many times we wander far from God’s merciful love.  But there I was in my office staring at that picture and realizing that I need to spend much more time with him in prayer (I mean, is it ever enough?).  I need to spend time examining my life and getting rid of those tiny nuisances that take time away from my Lord.  He is my all.  I preach this.  I believe this.  But so many times I fail to live this.  We are so blessed to have this time of Lent.  It is a time to make all things new and to fall in love with Love Himself all over again.

How much time do you spend with the Lord daily?  What are you going to do during this Lenten season to spend more time with him?