Friday, March 30, 2012

Day 38 - Some Much Needed Prayer


How much time have you dedicated to prayer during this Lenten season?  It is one of the three pillars of Lent along with fasting and almsgiving.  Yet, as we approach the final days of Lent, we may be tempted to pull back on the Lenten disciplines that we embraced five weeks ago.  This is where prayer comes in because it will help us persevere as we get ready to begin Holy Week on Sunday.  Being that today is Confirmation day here in our parish, I think it’s appropriate to call upon the Holy Spirit to guide our steps during the final days of our Lenten journey with this beautiful prayer for the great St. Augustine:

Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy.

Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy.
Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, that I may love only what is holy.

Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit, that I may defend all that is holy.

Guard me, O Holy Spirit, that I myself may always be holy.
                                                                                    --St. Augustine